Mentorship, Equity & Diversity Committee
Terms of Reference
The committee is advisory to the Vice-Chair, Mentorship, Equity and Diversity, and is expected to support the Vice-Chair in all aspects of the role, including but not limited to:
- Management of the DoM mentorship program, associated events, awards and leadership development (faculty networking, women in academic medicine, support for leadership training). Facilitation of mentorship across the faculty member lifecycle.
- Faculty equity and diversity (accreditation standard; recruitment and promotion).
- Quality of life (e.g. civility and professionalism).
- Developing and implementing meaningful benchmarks to measure the success of the overall portfolio; specifically focusing on equity and mentorship.
- Facilitate the selection of the annual Robert Hyland Excellence in Mentorship Award recipient.
- Oversee the administration of the bi-annual Department of Medicine faculty survey.
- Oversee special recognition events for newly appointed professors, associate professors, and professors emeriti.
The committee will reflect the diversity of the University of Toronto, Department of Medicine (DoM), faculty with an expectation of gender balance, representation of all job descriptions, divisions, hospitals, and equal membership from junior, intermediate, and senior level faculty members, as well as trainees.
Mandate and Role
The committee will meet monthly. The committee will be supported by the DoM assistant to the Vice-Chair, Mentorship, Equity and Diversity.
All committee members are expected to:
- Attend a minimum of four meetings each year. Attendence by teleconference is acceptable.
- Participate in meetings with a focus on developing, implementing and evaluating strategies to optimize mentorship, equity and diversity.
- Provide input into completion of these tasks.
- Participate in dissemination of results of initiatives.
|Sharon Straus, chair||St. Michael's Hospital||Geriatric Medicine||Professor|
|Glen Bandiera||St. Michael's Hospital||Emergency Medicine||
|Karen Burns||St. Michael's Hospital||Critical Care||Associate Professor|
|Anita Balakrishna||Diversity Strategist, Faculty of Medicine|
|Caroline Chessex||Toronto Western Hospital||Cardiology||Assistant Professor|
|Lorretta Daniel||Toronto General Hospital||Cardiology||Associate Professor|
|Michael Gordon||Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care||Geriatric Medicine||Professor|
|Ayelet Kuper||Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre||Internal Medicine||Associate Professor|
|Christie Lee||Mount Sinai Hospital||Critical Care||Assistant Professor|
|Liesly Lee||Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre||Neurology||
|Heather McDonald-Blumer||Mount Sinai Hospital - Bridgepoint||Rheumatology||Associate Professor|
|Sangeeta Mehta||Mount Sinai Hospital||Respirology||
|Andrea Page||Mount Sinai Hospital - Bridgepoint||Infectious Diseases||Assistant Professor|
|Danny Panisko||Toronto Western Hospital||Internal Medicine||Professor|
|Reena Pattani||St. Michael's Hospital||Internal Medicine||Assistant Professor|
|Shail Rawal||Toronto General Hospital||Internal Medicine||Assistant Professor|
|Lisa Richardson||Toronto Western Hospital||Internal Medicine||Assistant Professor|
|Larry Robinson||Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre||Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation||Professor|
|Jarred Rosenberg||Toronto East General Hospital||Geriatric Medicine||Lecturer|
|Sam Sabbah||Toronto General Hospital||Emergency Medicine||Assistant Professor|
|Nazia Selzner||Toronto General Hospital||Gastroenterology & Hepatology||Assistant Professor|
|Kathryn Tinckam||Toronto General Hospital||Nephrology||Associate Professor|
|Katina Tzanetos||Toronto General Hospital||Internal Medicine||Assistant Professor|
|Rob Wu||Toronto General Hospital||Internal Medicine||Assistant Professor|